If you like Italian sausage and pasta, you’ll love this casserole.
Baked Sausage Penne
- 1 lb. Italian sausages sweet or hot, your choice
- 2 cups penne noodle uncooked
- 2 tbsp. olive oil extra light
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 small green pepper chopped
- 4 oz. white mushrooms or portobello sliced
- 1 large garlic clove chopped fine
- 1 14 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup pasta sauce Paul Newman's Own Sockarooni Sauce is great for this recipe.
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup Romano cheese or parmesan
- 8 oz. grated mozzarella cheese or Italian blend
Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake the Italian sausages until thoroughly cooked. I like to grill the sausage the day before and refrigerate them over night.
Prepare the penne noodle per package instructions al dente style. Do not overcook the pasta. Stir fry the onions, peppers, and mushrooms in the oil in a large sauce pan for 3 minutes over medium high heat. Add the chopped garlic and saute an additional minute.
Add the diced tomato and pasta sauce along with the salt, pepper, and seasoning and stir until well mixed. Drain the pasta well and stir it into the sauce. Set the mixture aside.
Spoon half the mixture into 9 x 11 greased casserole dish.
Spread 1/2 of the cheeses over the pasta mixture. Spoon the rest of pasta mixture in and top off with the remaining cheese.
Bake uncovered at 350°F for 30 to 40 minutes until the cheese is a little browned on top.
Serve the Sausage Penne with you favorite salad and a slice of garlic bread.
Did you Know: October is National Pasta Month. It's also the month Christopher Columbus, one of Italy's most famous pastaphiles, was born. Personally I wouldn't mind pasta month every month, every week for that matter.