Now this is comfort food.
- 8 oz. ziti noodle
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium green pepper thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped fine
- 1 lb. ground Italian sausage bulk
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano chopped
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 1- 14 oz. jar marinara sauce
- 1- 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup grated Romano cheese or parmesan
- 8 oz. grated mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare the ziti per package instructions. Make sure you do not overcook, al dente should take about 7 minutes.
In a large skillet saute the green pepper, onion, and garlic in olive oil over med heat for 2 minutes.
Add the bulk sausage and scramble fry until the meat is browned completely. Drain off any excess fat.
Stir in 1/2 the chopped oregano and the pepper and Italian seasoning. Add the marinara sauce and crushed tomatoes. Simmer for 2 minutes.
Drain the ziti noodle and return it to the pot. Add the mixture from the pan and toss it all together. Ladle 1/2 the mixture into a 9x13 casserole dish. Spread half the Romano and mozzarella over the noodle.
Spoon the rest of the noodle mixture on top and cover with the remaining cheese. Top with the remaining chopped oregano. Place in the middle of the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
Great meal, add a slice of garlic bread and a side salad and you're done.
Did you know: There are 600 pasta shapes worldwide. Okay, we've got the ziti done, only 599 to go.